Copyright Violation Procedure
When the VCSU campus Information Technology Security Officer (ITSO) discovers or is otherwise notified of a Copyright Infringement or Violation the following procedures will be followed to help mitigate the event.
- An individual who's computer or device that is identified as the source will be notified by email that a copyright violation has occurred.
- The individual will have 24 hours from the time the email is sent to meet with the VCSU ITSO or appropriate Help Desk Staff.
- If the individual does not respond to the request within 24 hours, all network access will be suspended for the individual.
- During the meeting the individual will be reminded of copyright laws and the appropriate NDUS policies regarding those laws.
- The individuals computer or device that is the source will be inspected and ALL copyright protected material will be removed unless the individual has the consent of the copyright holder to retain the material.
- The individual will be strongly urged, but not required, to remove the application used to gather, distribute and otherwise manage the copyrighted material.
- The individual will be advised of alternative options for legally obtaining copyrighted materials.